These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Daily Telegraph Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that usually favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Daily Telegraph, also called the Daily Tele, has been a daily tabloid from Sydney, Australia, since 1879. The publisher is Nationwide News Limited, a division of News Corp Australia. Robert Murdoch bought the paper in 1972 and merged with the Daily Mirror, and it became the Telegraph-Mirror. In 1996, it changed back to The Daily Telegraph. Ben English is the editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In 2020, Reporters Without Borders ranked Australia 26/180 in their Press Freedom Index, stating, “Investigative journalism in danger.” The Prime Minister of Australia is Center-Right Conservative Scott Morrison. The Liberal-National Coalition, known as The Coalition, an alliance of center-right political parties with Morrison serving as the leader. In the 2019 elections, most Murdoch-owned papers endorsed The Coalition.
In review, The Daily Telegraph publishes misleading opinion columns with emotionally loaded wording such as this article “WHAT MADNESS CAN JUSTIFY MUTILATING OUR CHILDREN” According to The Australian Press Council, this column is misleading. Sky News, as well as news.com.au, provides national and international news.
Editorially, there is a distinct conservative bias in political positions. For example, they frequently downplay climate change and the Coronavirus Climate change activist Malcolm Turnbull ‘hijacks’ coronavirus alarmism. They also report negatively against left-leaning parties such as this Labour’s Association with the Greens is dangerous for Australia. Finally, in 2019, they endorsed conservative Scott Morrison for Prime Minister, Daily Telegraph editorial: Steady hand on the tiller beats rhetoric.
Finally, a Reuters institute survey found that 47% of respondents trust their news coverage and 22% do not, ranking them last in trust of the major Australian news providers. In general, the Daily Telegraph holds right-leaning editorial views and does not always report news factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- Australia is going to introduce 33 different genders on birth certificates and passports. – False
- Is actor Matt Damon “moving his family to Australia because of Trump”? – False
Overall, we rate The Daily Telegraph Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that usually favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks. (8/14/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 03/23/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm