Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2015, Being Libertarian is a news, opinion, and information website that focuses on Libertarianism. According to their about page, the “website acts as a point of convergence for minarchists, classical liberals, anarchists, independents, Objectivists, capitalists, and right/left-leaning libertarians.” They further state, “The goal of the group is to provide a neutral-as-can-be platform for individuals who believe in any of the various, broadly-libertarian schools of thought. As such, Being Libertarian LLC does not endorse any specific set of policies, political parties or candidates, nor any particular libertarian doctrine — other than a broad commitment to libertarian ideas.”
The current CEO is Nathaniel Owen, and the Editor-in-Chief is Martin van Staden.
Funded by / Ownership
Being Libertarian is held by Being Libertarian LLC, consisting of the Rational Standard and Think Liberty websites. The website is funded through advertising, the sale of books and merchandise through an online shop.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Being Libertarian reports news and information from many different libertarian perspectives. There is sometimes the use of minimally loaded language such as this adequately sourced article: House Passes Federal Minimum Wage Increase – Eccentric Economics. On the other hand, some op-eds contain moderately loaded language: The Last Acceptable Bigotry: Hatred of Non-Voters – Opting Out. Under the “News” tab Being Libertarian frequently reports on the positives of free-market capitalism and the more liberal social aspects of personal liberty such as this: Far Out: Denver Decriminalizes Psychedelic Mushrooms.
Editorially, Being Libertarian frequently reports negatively on socialism and the Trump administration’s economic policies and constitutional issues. When it comes to science, they present some diverse opinions on Climate Change; however, some are questionable as it relates to the consensus: Climate Alarmists are the Real Science Deniers – The Lowdown on Liberty. Further, during the Covid-19 pandemic, they promoted false or misleading information, as seen below in failed fact checks.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says Ron Johnson and 36 other senators “voted for federal agencies to have access to your internet history without obtaining a warrant.” – Mostly False
- Picture from a German mall separating the vaccinated and unvaccinated. I’m not here to compare anything in history but to just call out how dumb this fear-mongering shit is. Branch Covidians are the craziest religious people in the world. – False
Overall, we rate Being Libertarian Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that moderately favor the right, especially as it relates to economics. We also rate them Mixed for reporting due to misleading information regarding climate change and Covid-19. (1/20/2017) Updated (D. Van Zandt 03/25/2022)
Last Updated on March 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am