Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: FAR-RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Stone Cold Truth (SCT) is a conservative news site and personal blog for Roger Stone. Mr. Stone is a conservative-libertarian writer and political pundit who bills himself as a “Legendary American Political Operative.” He served as a political strategist for the Trump administration.
On January 25, 2019, Stone was arrested in connection with Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel investigation and charged with witness tampering, obstructing an official proceeding, and five counts of making false statements. In November 2019, a jury convicted him on all seven felony counts, and he was sentenced to 40 months in prison. Then in July of 2020, before Stone began his prison sentence, President Trump commuted his sentence, and then in December 2020, he fully pardoned Roger Stone.
In April 2020, Nearly three dozen search warrants were unsealed, which revealed contacts between Stone and Julian Assange (Wikileaks), and that Stone orchestrated hundreds of fake Facebook accounts and bloggers to run a political influence scheme on social media.
The Washington Post reported in February 2021 that the FBI was investigating any role Stone might have had in influencing the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers in their participation in the 2021 storming of the United States Capitol.
Funded by / Ownership
Roger Stone owns Stone Cold Truth. Advertising and a shop that sells conservative-themed merchandise generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The stories on SCT are poorly sourced, marginally factual, and much of the writing borders on conspiracy. Additionally, many of the reference sources at the end of the stories, such as The Daily Caller, are listed as Right Biased or Questionable themselves. As with many extremely biased sites on both the left and the right, many of the facts presented in the stories are either taken out of context or misrepresented.
Example: In the story titled “The Numbers Don’t Lie: Proof Of Fake News Confirmed,” the author, Saint John Hunt, conflates a Harvard study showing the percentage of negative press regarding President Trump during his first hundred days with inaccurate reporting. The study shows a high percentage of negative pres and shows a distinct negative bias from the press towards Trump during that time on some networks, including CNN and CBS. The study does not, however, gauge the accuracy of the reporting on the networks. Negativity does not automatically equate to falsehood, and the use of the numbers from the study as the centerpiece of the story is, at best, misleading.
Finally, Stone Cold Truth frequently promotes conspiracy theories, especially related to election fraud against former President Trump. For example, Roger Stone claimed that “North Korean boats delivering ballots through a harbor in Maine.” This obviously is not true. Further, they have also promoted misinformation regarding Covid-19 and vaccines ILLEGAL AND ILLOGICAL VACCINES. In general, Stone Cold Truth promotes a conservative right biased perspective and often is not factual in reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- A photograph shows a woman wearing a sign reading ‘My Legs Are Open for Refugees.’ – False
- As mayor of Newark, N.J., Cory Booker “stole $600,000 from a city water authority and laundered it through his law firm.” – False
- Says Hillary Clinton “shows up in Broward County” and had a private meeting with elections supervisor Brenda Snipes. – Pants on Fire
Overall, we rate Stone Cold Truth Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of right-wing propaganda, conspiracy theories, the use of poor sources, and several failed fact checks. (D. Kelley 7/10/2017) Updated (7/22/2021)
Last Updated on July 22, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am