These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Asian News International (ANI) Right-Center Biased based on favorable reporting of Prime Minister Modi and his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which promotes right-wing nationalism. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
MBFC’s Country Freedom Rating: MODERATE FREEDOM
Media Type: News Agency
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1975, Asian News International (ANI) is an Indian news agency, which according to Media at Work in China and India: Discovering and Dissecting, “developed as a de facto monopoly supplier of news from India for Reuters TV.” Asian News International (ANI) is headquartered in New Delhi. The Chairman and founder are Prem Prakash, and Sanjiv Prakash is the Editor and CEO of Asian News International.
Asian News International (ANI) provides content for every information platform, including text, video, and picture content for TV, internet, broadband, newspapers, television programs, audio clips, news feeds, and streamed media. Apart from providing news to its clients, Asian News International (ANI) also publishes news on its own website, with topics including entertainment, lifestyles, business, science, sports, and more.
Funded by / Ownership
ANI is owned by ANI Media Private Limited. Revenue is derived through content sales.
Analysis / Bias
According to Reporters Without Borders, the media environment in India is threatened by increasing nationalism: “self-censorship is growing in the mainstream media and journalists are increasingly the targets of online smear campaigns by the most radical nationalists.”
In review, Asian News International (ANI) reports national news with minimally emotionally loaded headlines such as: “It’s an action-packed visit for PM Modi in Singapore.” The wording of the articles is also relatively neutral and balanced. ANI primarily sources information to itself as they are the source and provider of news. ANI reports international news with low bias as they use credible mainstream news agencies of the relevant countries such as: “Russian foreign minister to visit N Korea ‘soon.’”
ANI has faced criticism for frequent favorable reporting on Center-Right Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Failed Fact Checks
- Voice actress Nancy Cartwright was elected mayor of Northridge, California. – False
- ANI, India TV portray photographs of mosque in Jammu as Eid prayers in Srinagar – False
- Media Misquotes RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat On Nationalism – False
- Elephant was ‘fed’ a pineapple with firecrackers and that the incident took place in Kerala’s Malappuram district. – FALSE
- Anju Bobby George, Olympian long jumper and India’s first athletics medalist at the World Championship is joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) – False
- Donald Trump Issued Statement Congratulating Elon Musk – False
Overall, we rate Asian News International (ANI) Right-Center Biased based on favorable reporting of Prime Minister Modi and his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which promotes right-wing nationalism. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 5/31/2018) Updated (11/23/2023)
Last Updated on November 23, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.