These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Spectrum News – NY1 Least Biased due to representing both viewpoints and using minimally loaded words and factually high based on proper sourcing.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Spectrum News – NY1, known as NY1, is an American cable TV channel that first launched on September 8, 1992. The founder of NY1 is Richard Aurelio, who was the president of New York City’s Time Warner Cable. Spectrum News – NY1 is currently owned by Charter Communications, Inc. NY1 serves Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island and provides 24-hour local news, politics, weather news, and more. NY1 is headquartered in Manhattan, New York City, and shares content with its sister channels in New York City: Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and NY1 Noticias
Funded by / Ownership
Time Warner Cable launched its first regional cable news channel on September 8, 1992, with the New York City-based NY1. In 2013, Charter Communications announced that they are re-branding its residential services to Charter Spectrum. In 2016, Charter acquired Time Warner Cable. Next, Time Warner Cable was phased out in favor of Spectrum, the brand used by Charter to market its services. The main revenue sources for NY1 are ads and subscription fees collected by cable operators who package programs in “bundles.“
Analysis / Bias
In review, Spectrum News – NY1 reports local news with minimal loaded words and bias such as “Posters send message on immigration concerns across Queens.” NY1 also republishes Associated Press articles and covers stories with both points of view represented. Typically, NY1 utilizes credible sources such as the Associated Press; however, they also source through interviews and large quotes.
NY1 does not publish opinion pieces, but does report on politics with minimal bias, such as this Suffolk County executive Steve Bellone, potential statewide candidate, has $1M. In general, NY1 covers both sides of issues and reports news factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Spectrum News – NY1 Least Biased due to representing both viewpoints and using minimally loaded words and factually high based on proper sourcing. (M. Huitsing 07/10/2018) Updated (7/17/2021)
Last Updated on August 15, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm