These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Self Magazine Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to occasionally promoting pseudoscience.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1979, Self Magazine is an online magazine that focuses on women’s health and wellness. The print magazine was a regular fixture at store checkouts and newsstands until 2017 when they moved to an online format. According to their about page, “The SELF editorial team is composed of a diverse group of individuals with a wide range of reporting and editing backgrounds. The varying viewpoints and unique opinions of each person on the team help drive SELF’s content to be among the best and most respected health content published today.”
Funded by / Ownership
Conde Nast owns Self Magazine, an American mass media company founded in 1909 by Condé Montrose Naste, based in New York City, and a subsidiary of Advance Publications. They own 18 brands, including Allure, Architectural Digest, Ars Technica, Backchannel, Bon Appétit, Condé Nast Traveler, Epicurious, Golf Digest, Pitchfork, Glamour, Teen Vogue, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Vogue, and Wired. Advertising and sponsored content derive revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Self Magazine publishes news and information related to fitness, food, health, love, beauty, and culture. Articles and headlines usually do not contain loaded words and often promote lists like this 45 Cooking Gifts for Your Favorite Home Cook. Their health section features Health Conditions A-Z, which focuses on women’s health issues and concerns. Most information in this section links to other Self articles and credible sources such as the American Cancer Society.
Editorially, they report on political issues with a moderate liberal bias. For example, they frequently report negatively on conservatives, and their policies such as this Biden Just Reversed a Trump-Era Domestic Gag Rule on Abortion. When reporting on science such as covid-19, they utilize pro-science and credible sources. However, they occasionally promote the pseudoscience of astrology The 36 Best Gifts to Get Your Friends, According to Their Zodiac Sign. In general, they report news from a left-leaning perspective and are mostly factual due to the occasional promotion of pseudoscience.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Self Magazine Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to occasionally promoting pseudoscience. (D. Van Zandt 10/25/2021)
Last Updated on January 13, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am