These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Science News a Pro-Science source based on support for the consensus and proper sourcing to credible outlets and peer-reviewed journals.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1922, Science News is an American bi-weekly magazine devoted to short articles about new scientific and technical developments, typically from recent scientific and technical journals. Sciencenews.org is the online edition of the magazine. The current editor is Nancy Shute. According to their about page, “Our mission is to provide independent, unbiased coverage of science and give people the tools to evaluate the news and the world around them.”
Funded by / Ownership
Science News is owned and published by Society for Science & the Public, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to promoting science through its science education programs and publications. Revenue is generated through subscriptions, memberships, donations, and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Science News publishes news and information on scientific trends and recent peer-reviewed research on a wide range of scientific disciplines. Articles and headlines do not use loaded language such as this The FDA has approved the first treatment for Ebola. This news report is sourced from the Food and Drug Administration.
Science News is a pro-science source as they support the consensus of science on all topics, including climate change, GMOs, and vaccinations. Further, they always source information from credible outlets and journals.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Science News a Pro-Science source based on support for the consensus and proper sourcing to credible outlets and peer-reviewed journals. (D. Van Zandt 11/6/2016) Updated (10/30/2021)
Last Updated on October 30, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am