Pseudoscience: Consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual but are incompatible with the scientific method (unproven, not testable, or opposed to the consensus of traditional science).
Definition: A Genetically Modified Organism is an organism whose genome has been engineered in the laboratory in order to favor the expression of desired physiological traits or the generation of desired biological products. Some examples are drought resistant plants as well as plants that repel insects. GMO Dangers refers to the belief that Genetically Modified Organisms (Food) is harmful to a person’s health. Some claims include that they cause cancer, promote kidney disease, and generally cause a person to be unhealthy.
Reasoning: According to Cornell’s Alliance for Science the “GMO Safety Debate is over.” They cite research from the National Academies of Sciences that indicates after examining hundreds of scientific papers written on the subject, sat through hours of live testimony from activists and considered hundreds more comments from the general public, the scientists wrote that they “found no substantiated evidence that foods from GE crops were less safe than foods from non-GE crops.” Further, according to research from Harvard University “GMOs have been found to exhibit no toxicity, in one generation or across many.” Finally, according to the World Health Organization “No effects on human health have been shown as a result of the consumption of GM foods by the general population in the countries where they have been approved.”
- GMO Facts: 10 Common GMO Claims Debunked
- Don’t Believe the Hype: Debunking the Myths of GMOs
- Genetically-Engineered Crops: Past Experience and Future Prospects
Conclusion: There is currently no evidence to show that GMOs are harmful in either the short or longterm.
Last Updated on September 19, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am