These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Patch High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and Least Biased based on balanced story selection and neutral language.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2007, Patch is a hyperlocal news and information site which was formerly part of AOL. It is an online news and information portal for 1200 neighborhood and community websites across the USA.
Funded by / Ownership
Currently, Patch is owned by investment firm Hale Global. Warren St. John is the CEO. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Patch Media runs a large US-based hyperlocal network of sites. Patch primarily covers tabloid-style news and news that generates the most traffic, such as police and local sports, with an emphasis on sensational headlines such as “What Could Cause A Superintendent To Poop On A Track?” Although headlines are somewhat sensational, the content of articles uses a low biased neutral tone that does not favor the right or left.
In their national news reporting, they utilize listicle style headlines such as “Stormy Daniels Payoff: 5 Things To Clear Your Confusion,” and typically they source to credible sources such as the Washington Post, NBC News, citizensforethics.org, commoncause.org, Star-Ledger, and occasionally factually mixed sources such as CNN and Fox News. In addition, they republish stories from Associated Press.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Patch High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and Least Biased based on balanced story selection and neutral language. (M. Huitsing 5/5/2018) Updated (07/18/2021)
Last Updated on July 18, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am