These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Common Cause Left-Center Biased based on advocacy for positions favored by the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Common Cause is a watchdog group based in Washington, D.C., with chapters in 35 states. It was founded in 1970 by John W. Gardner, a Republican, who was the former Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare in the administration of President Lyndon Johnson and chair of the National Urban Coalition, an advocacy group for minorities and the working poor in urban areas. As initially founded, Common Cause was prominently known for its efforts to end the Vietnam War and lower the voting age from 21 to 18. Sometimes identified as liberal-leaning, Common Cause has also been identified as nonpartisan and advocates government reform.
Funded by / Ownership
The group is organized as a 501(c)(4) organization, and its sister organization, the Common Cause Educational Fund, is a 501(c)(3) organization. Donations fund Common Cause. They fully disclose donors on tax forms.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Common Cause’s primary issues today are ending gerrymandering, having publicly financed elections and an end to Citizens United, a national popular vote, and equal rights for all citizens. The information found on Common Cause is factually sourced to credible sources, and minimal loaded words are used. Due to being factual and neutral in wording, we rate this source left-center biased despite having a clear left-wing political affiliation bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Common Cause Left-Center Biased based on advocacy for positions favored by the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/7/2017) Updated (8/4/2021)
Last Updated on August 4, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am