These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Star-Ledger moderately Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions and endorsement that mostly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1832, The Star-Ledger is the largest circulated broadsheet newspaper in the U.S. state of New Jersey and is based in Newark. The current editor is Kevin Whitmer.
Funded by / Ownership
The Star-Ledger is owned by Advance Publications. The company dates to the early 1920s and is owned by the Newhouse family. Donald Newhouse together with his brother Samuel “Si” Newhouse Jr. owns Advance Publications. The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, and Reddit are all produced by Advance Publications. Revenue is generated through advertising and subscription sales.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Star-Ledger reports local news through reporters with minimal bias, and national/international news is covered via the Associated Press. This review is focused on content from Nj.com which publishes online content for the Star-Ledger. NJ.Com publishes mostly editorial content from the Star-Ledger that tends to lean left such as these:
- Trump’s environmental record should be impeachable: Sierra Club
- New Jersey’s proud role in the impeachment fight | Moran
- The #MeToo movement vs. Gov. Phil Murphy | Moran
Finally, the Star-Ledger has endorsed Democratic Presidential candidates since 1992. In general, the Star-Ledger reports news factually, with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Overall, we rate the Star-Ledger moderately Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions and endorsement that mostly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/18/2016) Update (08/19/2019)
Last Updated on August 19, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds