These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the National Post Right-Center Biased based on story selection that favors the right and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, The National Post is a Canadian English-language broadsheet newspaper. The paper is the flagship publication of Postmedia Network and is published Tuesdays through Saturdays. The current editor is Anne Marie Owens.
Funded by / Ownership
The National Post is owned by Postmedia, which owns several right-leaning media outlets throughout Canada. According to a report in the left-leaning CanadaLand, PostMedia has directed its publications to be more “reliably conservative.” The newspaper is funded through advertising and subscription fees.
Chatham Asset Management, a New Jersey-based hedge fund, holds a significant equity stake in Postmedia and majority ownership of American Media Inc., which owns the National Enquirer. David Pecker, who owns American Media, Inc., joined the Postmedia board and then resigned from the board of Postmedia in 2018 due to his hush payments on behalf of his “friends,” including President Trump and Harvey Weinstein.
According to the National Observer, PostMedia is in a downward spiral. After Postmedia announced a $1.4M loss for the last quarter of 2018, Paul Godfrey stepped down as CEO of the Postmedia Network and was replaced by Andrew MacLeod as of 1/10/2019. Godfrey will remain as executive chair. Godfrey was also criticized for cutting 800 full-time jobs across Postmedia in 2016 while earning an annual salary of $1.7 million. For a list of directors and upper management, please see here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The National Post publishes news about Canada and the World. Most Canadian news is from The Canadian Press and world news from the Associated Press. Toronto news comes from local journalists, and politics comes from various sources that lean right. Editorially, Post Media primarily supports the consensus of science on climate change but does present doubts. In general, National Post has a slight right lean through the support of former President Trump. Finally, a Reuters institute survey found that 60% of respondents trust their news coverage and 15% do not, ranking them #7 in trust among the major English language Canadian news providers.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate National Post Right-Center Biased based on story selection that favors the right and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/5/2016) Updated (03/28/2022)
Last Updated on March 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am