Reasoning: Conspiracy, Pseudoscience, Fake News
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
The National Enquirer is an American supermarket tabloid published by American Media Inc (AMI), founded in 1926. The Enquirer openly acknowledges that it will pay sources for tips, a practice generally disapproved of by the credible press. The current editor is Dylan Howard.
Funded by / Ownership
The National Enquirer is owned by American Media, Inc., a publisher of magazines, supermarket tabloids, and books based in New York City. In August 2020, the CEO of AMI, David Pecker, a close personal friend to President Donald Trump, stepped down as CEO. The tabloid is funded through magazine sales and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
The National Enquirer is well known for publishing outrageous and sometimes fake news stories. One could even say that they are the original fake news media outlet that profits by selling fake news. While most news on their website is not fake, the majority is sensationalized gossip that is not well sourced to credible information. A sample headline reads Hillary Clinton: White House Dream Is Over! In this article, they claim Clinton has 6 months to live, which is patently false. Here is the cover of the magazine:
According to reporting by The Associated Press, during the 2016 United States Presidential election, stories that supported Donald Trump or attacked his rivals bypassed the newspaper’s standard fact-checking process. In general, stories regarding politics have a right-wing bias in selection, especially regarding President Trump.
Failed Fact Checks
- The National Enquirer has failed numerous fact checks. See here.
Overall, we rate the National Enquirer Questionable based on the routine publishing of sensational or fake news stories. (D. Van Zandt 7/12/2017) Updated (9/16/2021)
Last Updated on September 16, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am