Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Launched in 2011, The Charlotte Lozier Institute (CLI), according to their about page is the “research and education institute of the Susan B. Anthony List, an organization dedicated to electing candidates and pursuing policies that will reduce and ultimately end abortion. Founded in 1992, SBA List seeks to restore authentic feminism that celebrates the equality and dignity of women in all walks of life, without diminishing the sanctity of the human lives they conceive and bear in the vocation of motherhood. SBA List’s work has centered on advocacy for life and political action to draw more women into public life.” CLI is named for Dr. Charlotte Denman Lozier (1844–1870), an early feminist and contemporary of Susan B. Anthony.
Funded by / Ownership
The Lozier Institute is 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Lozier Institute has one purpose and that is to reduce or eliminate abortions and ultimately outlaw abortion. They accomplish this by publishing stories that show the negative impacts of abortion such as this: Stories of Premature Births, Lethal/Non-Lethal Anomalies Involving Fetal Surgery and Perinatal Hospice. This particular story is sourced to a variety of sources, some of which we rate factually mixed or even Questionable such as the Daily Mail.
In an article by Political Research Associates, titled THE CHARLOTTE LOZIER INSTITUTE PLOTS NEW STRATEGIES IN WAR ON WOMEN they state that CLI is trying to strip away women’s reproductive rights through a three-pronged approach: “portraying antichoice as authentic feminism; promoting incremental restrictions on abortion rights, and attempting to cast doubt on Guttmacher’s work.” Further, the Southern Poverty Law Center challenged a lower court decision in favor of Susan B. Anthony List and won in a 9-0 decision, upholding first amendment rights.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Lozier Institute Right biased based on abortion positions and Mixed for factual reporting due to misleading science. (2/14/2017) Updated (D. Van Zandt 12/31/2018)
Last Updated on September 3, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am