Established in 1896 by Harold and Alfred Harmsworth and Kennedy Jones, The Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper in the UK. It is edited by Geordie Greig, who took over as editor in November 2018 from Paul Dacre, the editor since 1992. The Daily Mail’s parent company is DMGT, which owns newspapers including the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday, and The Metro. The chairman is Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere, who inherited the media empire founded by his great-grandfather Harold and his brother Alfred a century earlier. Harold Sidney Harmsworth is also known to be an admirer of Mussolini and a supporter of Nazi Germany.
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Mail’s parent company is Daily Mail, and General Trust or DMGT and its chairman are Jonathan Harmsworth. He inherited the media empire founded by his great-grandfather Harold Sidney Harmsworth. The Executive Committee is listed on their about page.
DMGT also publishes the Mail on Sunday and Metro titles. Besides journalism, DMGT includes risk management event organizations such as conferences, training sessions, seminars and is the largest shareholder in property portal Zoopla, sold to Silver Lake. The main revenue of the Daily Mail is digital advertising, print ads, and subscription fees. You can find their 2018 assets report here.
Analysis / Bias
The Daily Mail is a known supporter of the Conservatives. They are also one of the pro-Brexit tabloids. According to a Reuters article, the Daily Mail published a controversial headline in response to a Brexit Court ruling criticizing the judges by branding them as ‘enemies of the people.’ According to CNBC, the Daily Mail has also been criticized by Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales for publishing fake news articles and “hyped up” headlines and “mastered the art of running stories that aren’t true.” Further, CNBC reported that DMG media responded by saying, “DailyMail.com is the very antithesis of click-bait and hype headlines. We just tell stories better than anyone else.”
The Daily Mail tends to publish stories utilizing sensationalized headlines with emotionally loaded wordings such as “Woman, 63, ‘becomes PREGNANT in the mouth’ with baby squid after eating calamari”, which is a misleading headline. In 2017, Wikipedia banned the Daily Mail as an ‘unreliable’ source. When it comes to sourcing information, they use minimal hyperlinked sourcing and sourcing to themselves. Further, a Reuters institute survey found that 26% of respondents trust their news coverage and 47% do not, ranking them #11 in trust of the major UK news providers. In general, most stories favor the right; however, the Daily Mail will report either side of the story is sensational enough.
Failed Fact Checks
- Did the Daily Mail Delete a Story Reporting the U.S. Planned to Blame Assad for ‘False Flag’ Chemical Attacks? – Mostly True
- “Google search spike suggests many people don’t know why they voted for Brexit.” – Mostly False
- Is Using ‘Bug Spray’ to Get High an Alarming New Trend? – Mostly False
- Did a White House Intern Make the ‘White Power’ Hand Gesture? – Unproven
- Did ‘Melbourne Antifa’ Claim Responsibility for the Vegas Massacre? – False
- Are Vigilante Protesters Digging Up Confederate Graves After Charlottesville Clashes? – Mostly False
- “Racist picture of Democrat North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper emerges just days after he called on Ralph Northam to resign – DAILY MAIL.” – Pants on Fire
Overall, we rate Daily Mail Right Biased and Questionable due to numerous failed fact checks and poor information sourcing. (7/19/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 03/23/2022)
Last Updated on March 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am