These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Guttmacher Institute Left-Center Biased based on their liberal position for support of reproductive rights while at the same time utilizing minimal bias in presentation. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and for being a resource for credible IFCN fact-checkers.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1968, The Alan Guttmacher Institute is a leading research and policy organization committed to advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights in the United States. The Institute is named after obstetrician-gynecologist and the former president of Planned Parenthood, Alan F. Guttmacher.
Funded by / Ownership
The Institute was first started in 1968 as part of Planned Parenthood, with its funding being solely from Planned Parenthood. Once the Guttmacher Institute was no longer connected to Planned Parenthood in 2007, the organization only received less than 1% of its funding from Planned Parenthood in 2010. Now, most of the funding is gained through private foundations based in the United States. Other funding does come from international organizations such as the World Health Organization and the World Bank. Over the last 25 years, the MacArthur Foundation, along with Planned Parenthood’s contribution of well over $2 million, has provided funding so that the Guttmacher Institute can conduct studies internationally on women’s abortion rates and reproductive health.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Guttmacher Institute exclusively reports on and advocates for reproductive rights. There is little use of loaded language such as this: Ensuring Access to Abortion at the State Level: Selected Examples and Lessons. This research is very well sourced from credible sources and information. In general, all information on this website points toward advocacy for abortion and contraception rights. Although this strongly aligns with the political left, the Guttmacher Institute, according to the least biased Factcheck.org, “provides the most highly respected statistics on the sexual health of women and men. Its figures on abortion are widely cited by the media as well as by groups on both sides of the political aisle.”
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Guttmacher Institute Left-Center Biased based on their liberal position for support of reproductive rights while at the same time utilizing minimal bias in presentation. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and for being a resource for credible IFCN fact-checkers. (5/15/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 01/09/2022)
Last Updated on January 9, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm