Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in May 2021 by Jeffrey Tucker, the Brownstone Institute for Social and Economic Research is a Libertarian think tank that advocates for Anarcho-Capitalism. Jeffrey Tucker is an Austrian economics writer and an author of books on Libertarianism. According to their about page, its “vision is of a society that places the highest value on the voluntary interaction of individuals and groups while minimizing the use of violence and force including that which is exercised by public authority.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Brownstone Institute for Social and Economic Research is a nonprofit organization funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
The Brownstone Institute advocates for libertarian government and Austrian economic theory. They claim to be “the spiritual child of the Great Barrington Declaration.” The Great Barrington Declaration comes from the Libertarian Think Tank, The American Institute for Economic Research. Scientists have criticized the Great Barrington Declaration as dangerous and controversial due to its opposition to lockdowns, masks, and vaccine mandates. The Brownstone Institute states that it “looks to influence a post-lockdown world by generating new ideas in public health, scientific discourse, economics, and social theory.”
The website features news and opinion articles that use loaded emotional wording favoring the libertarian right, such as this The Mandate on Business Intensifies the Crisis. This story is reasonably sourced to Tweets and the website Worldometers.
Editorially, they advocate for limited government, free-market capitalism, and libertarian policy. During the covid-19 pandemic, they promoted vaccine hesitancy, such as why I Will Not Take the Second Dose. They have also promoted misinformation and made false claims about vaccines (see fact checks below). In general, they are right-biased and sometimes promote misinformation.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate the Brownstone Institute Right Biased based on editorial positions that favor a conservative-libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a failed fact check and the promotion of misinformation regarding Covid-19. (D. Van Zandt 11/6/2021)
Last Updated on January 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am