These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Governing Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Governing was a national monthly print magazine until 2019, edited and published since 1987 in Washington, D.C., whose subject area is state and local government in the United States. The website covers policy, politics, and the management of government enterprises. According to their about page “Governing is a resource for elected and appointed officials and other public leaders who are looking for smart insights and a forum to better understand and manage through this era of change.” The current Editor in Chief is Dennis McKenna.
Funded by / Ownership
Governing is owned by research and media company eRepublic based in California. Revenue is primarily derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Governing website publishes news in the primary categories Security, Finance, Work, Context and Community design. Articles and headlines contain moderately loaded emotional language such as this County Rejects Ransom Demand. Hackers Expose Sensitive Data. This story is published through the Herald-Sun. For the most part, articles are republished from credible local newspapers such as this from the Boston Herald Massachusetts’ New Police Reform Law Misses First Deadline. Original reporting is often well-sourced and factual such as this Our Cities Get Zoning All Wrong. Here’s a Way to Do It Better.
Editorially, Governing tends to favor the left with positive news stories on President Joe Biden and a more negative tone toward former President Trump. In general, the news is reporting factually and with a left-leaning bias in story selection.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Governing Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 2/4/2017) Updated (2/18/2021)
Last Updated on February 18, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am