These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Christianity Today Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the Right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Christianity Today magazine is an evangelical Christian periodical founded in 1956 by Billy Graham and is based in Carol Stream, Illinois. The Washington Post calls Christianity Today “evangelicalism’s flagship magazine.” The current editor is Mark Galli.
On 12/19/2019, the editor of Christianity Today wrote an editorial highly critical of President Donald Trump: Trump Should Be Removed from Office. On 12/20/2019. President Trump responded via Twitter:
A far left magazine, or very “progressive,” as some would call it, which has been doing poorly and hasn’t been involved with the Billy Graham family for many years, Christianity Today, knows nothing about reading a perfect transcript of a routine phone call and would rather…..have a Radical Left nonbeliever, who wants to take your religion & your guns, than Donald Trump as your President. No President has done more for the Evangelical community, and it’s not even close. You’ll not get anything from those Dems on stage. I won’t be reading ET again!
Funded by / Ownership
Christianity Today International owns Christianity Today. Revenue is derived through subscriptions and a shop that sells back magazine issues.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Christianity Today reports on news and politics from a moderate Christian perspective. Story selection often leans right and uses minimally loaded language, such as this Senate’s Genocide Vote Not the Only Good News for Armenian Christians. Information contained in articles is always properly sourced. Editorially, the magazine favors conservative positions such as pro-Life Abortion Is Wrong. That’s Not Why Roe v. Wade Is Wrong. In general, they report factually with a moderate conservative bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Christianity Today Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the Right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/8/2017) Updated (06/17/2022)
Last Updated on June 17, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am