A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate GOP.gov a Questionable source based on a complete lack of transparency and consistent publication of right-wing propaganda.
Reasoning: Propaganda, Complete lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Through backtracking the domain, we found that it once belonged to the GOP Pledge to America website under the domain pledge.gop.gov. The Pledge to America is a list of proposed legislative items that the Republican Party promised to pursue in the 112th Congress if Republicans gained a majority of the seats in the U.S. House of Representatives in the November 2010 election. The Pledge to America was written by Rep. Kevin McCarthy‘s staffer Brian Wild at the behest of House Republican leaders.
As of this date, not a single item on the pledge was ever accomplished, and as of 2014, all information regarding the pledge had been removed from the website.
Funded by / Ownership
The GOP.gov website does not disclose ownership or funding, again completely lacking transparency.
Analysis / Bias
In review, GOP.gov provides a list of all Republican Representatives and information regarding their annual conference. The website also provides news stories that always favor the right with loaded emotional headlines such as this: Desperate Pelosi Claims She Has An Agenda. This article does not offer an author and is not well written. In another article POLL: Dems’ Far Left Policies Out of Touch With Rest of the Country, there is proper sourcing, but it is hard to believe that a so-called official Government site would write such a short and minimal detailed message. A general search of GOP.gov also does not cover any stories with search authority.
In general, this is an informational website for the GOP that provides right-biased news and completely lacks transparency.
Failed Fact Checks
- There is no record of this site being fact-checked; however, the politicians they cover frequently make false claims.
Overall, we rate GOP.gov a Questionable source based on a complete lack of transparency and consistent publication of right-wing propaganda. (D. Van Zandt 10/8/2019) Updated (09/26/2022)
Last Updated on September 26, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am