These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Covid.gov a Pro-Science source based on support for the consensus of science through the use of credible scientific sources.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in March 2022, Covid.gov is a website from the Department of Health & Human Services that provides information and guidance on Covid-19 safety. According to the HHS website, “The mission of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is to enhance the health and well-being of all Americans by providing for effective health and human services and by fostering sound, sustained advances in the sciences underlying medicine, public health, and social services.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) and the United States Government publish Covid.gov. The federal United States government funds the HHS.
Analysis / Bias
Covid.gov provides information on why masks effectively reduce the transmission of Covid-19 and how to get masks. This information links to the CDC website. Next, the website offers a link to treatment options and “test to treat” locations. Again, this links to the CDC. The website also links vaccine information from vaccines.gov, which allows a person to search and find vaccination facilities in their location. Finally, Covid.gov provides a link on how to order at-home test kits.
The website also provides “Other Resources” that link to the CDC, covering: Symptoms and Care, At Home Testing, and information on Travel. In general, the information is fact-based and rooted in the latest scientific consensus.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Covid.gov a Pro-Science source based on support for the consensus of science through the use of credible scientific sources. (D. Van Zandt 03/30/2022)
Last Updated on March 30, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am