The Family Research Council (FRC) is an American conservative Christian group and lobbying organization formed in the United States in 1981 by James Dobson. Tony Perkins is its current president. The FRC promotes traditional family values, by advocating and lobbying for socially conservative policies. It opposes and lobbies against LGBT rights, abortion, divorce, embryonic stem-cell research and pornography. In 2010, the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) classified the FRC as an anti-gay hate group.
Funded by / Ownership
The Family Research Council is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is funded through donations. They lack transparency as they do not clearly state where their funding is derived from.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website features a section called issues in which they publish news and information in opposition to abortion such as this Supreme Court should put a stop to the abortion industry getting a free pass. Under this category, they also promote anti-LGBTQ sentiments such as this: Why Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Should Never Be Specially Protected Categories Under the Law. Further, FRC’s statements and positions have been further criticized as being based upon pseudoscience or junk science; according to Wired, the group has misrepresented data and mis-designed sociological studies in order to negatively depict LGBT people.
According to the Southern Poverty Law Center FRC is a hate group that “bills itself as “the leading voice for the family in our nation’s halls of power,” but its real specialty is defaming LGBTQ people.” Further, the Human Rights Campaign has criticized FRC as well. The Family Research Council responded to the SPLC with the following: ANSWERING THE SOUTHERN POVERTY LAW CENTER’S ATTACKS UPON FAMILY RESEARCH COUNCIL. In general, FRC promotes pseudoscience and Christian propaganda that often is not factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- Surgery for Seniors vs. Abortions? – False
- “We know from the social science that children do best with a mom and a dad.” – False
- Says scientists are “in dispute” over whether being gay is a choice. – False
- The Senate version of the health care reform bill “allows taxpayer money to pay directly for abortion in federal community health centers funded in the bill.” – Mostly False
- Says Houston National Cemetery is preventing Christian prayers from being said at military funerals. – False
- “Upwards of 90 percent” of women seeking an abortion decide not to have an abortion after seeing an ultrasound. – False
Overall, we rate the Family Research Council (FRC) Questionable based on the promotion of far-right conspiracy and propaganda, as well as a lack of transparency with funding, poor sourcing, numerous failed fact checks, and 3rd party designation as a hate group. (8/23/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 6/13/2020)