These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Human Right Campaign Left Biased based on supporting issues associated with the political left and significant donations to Democrat candidates. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1980 by Steve Endean, The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is the largest LGBT civil rights advocacy group and political lobbying organization in the United States. According to their about page, “The Human Rights Campaign represents a force of more than 3 million members and supporters nationwide. As the largest national lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer civil rights organization, HRC envisions a world where LGBTQ people are ensured of their basic equal rights and can be open, honest, and safe at home, at work, and in the community.” The current President is Chad Griffin.
Funded by / Ownership
The HRC Foundation is a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization. Donations derive funding. You can find annual reports here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Human Rights Campaign focuses on protecting and expanding rights for LGBT individuals, advocating for marriage equality, anti-discrimination and hate crimes legislation, and HIV/AIDS advocacy. HRC also publishes a blog that is primarily used to endorse or criticize political candidates running for office. The moderate use of loaded language typically favors the left, such as this: Kavanaugh Passes the Test of These anti-equality Organizations—And Most Certainly Fails Ours. Blog posts are properly sourced to factual media outlets.
The Human Rights Campaign usually endorses Democratic candidates; however, they have been criticized for occasionally selecting Republican candidates that support gay marriage. Further, a look at donations reveals that the HRC has donated 82% of its money to Democrats since 1990 or $13,029,699.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate the Human Right Campaign Left Biased based on supporting issues associated with the political left and significant donations to Democrat candidates. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/6/2018) Updated (08/26/2021)
Last Updated on August 26, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm