These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate American Affairs Right-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the right and High for factual reporting due to excellent sourcing of information.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Journal
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
American Affairs is a quarterly American political journal founded in February 2017 by Julius Krein, who is also the editor. According to their about page, “Each issue of American Affairs will explore topics in domestic and foreign policy, as well as broader debates in economic theory, political thought, and social criticism. We will feature established authors and new voices from the Right and the Left. The journal’s headquarters are located in Boston, Massachusetts.
Funded by / Ownership
According to their about page, they are published by the American Affairs Foundation Inc and listed as a “not-for-profit corporation organized under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.” The journal is funded through both print and electronic subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, American Affairs breaks down articles into sections such as “Populism, Immigration, and the Border.” Within this section is an article titled: Containing the Drug Cartels: A Case for the Border Wall, in which there is support for Donald Trump’s wall. The article is very well sourced to credible media outlets and organizations. The following section is “Neoliberalism against the Market,” followed by “Nationalism and Democracy,” and lastly, “Corporate Culture.”
Each article uses minimally loaded words in the headlines, and the articles are very well written. In general, the stories published in American Affairs align with the right; however, there is not always support for President Trump. Further, American Affairs has received positive reviews from left-leaning sources. For example, the New York Times said, “. . . as good a place as any to go looking for the intellectual future of conservatism.” and the New Yorker said, “Generally speaking, an upstart journal should be both invigorating and somewhat strange, and American Affairs succeeds on both counts.”
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate American Affairs Right-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the right and High for factual reporting due to excellent sourcing of information. (D. Van Zandt 12/13/2018) Updated (02/06/2022)
Last Updated on February 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: il Giornaleby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:15 am
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm