- Overall, we rate the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists as slightly left-biased; we also rate them Pro-Science for well-sourced scientific information.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1945, The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is a digital journal and website that covers global security and public policy issues related to the dangers posed by nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction, climate change, and emerging technologies and diseases.
According to their about page, “The Bulletin equips the public, policymakers, and scientists with the information needed to reduce man-made threats to human existence. At its core, it is a media organization, posting free articles on its website and publishing a premium digital magazine. The Bulletin focuses on three main areas: nuclear risk, climate change, and disruptive technologies.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Bulletin is an independent, nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization founded in 1945 by Manhattan Project scientists. Donations, subscription fees, and an online store that sells branded merchandise generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists publishes news and information related to the science of nuclear weapons and their potential dangers. Articles and headlines often touch on political subjects as they are researching and discussing risks posed to the planet, such as this Here’s what to expect from Biden on top nuclear weapons issues.
Many of the issues covered on this website align with the political left, such as concern for Climate Change and nuclear threats Private, centralized storage for spent nuclear fuel: A dead-end or path forward? Although the information is factual and pro-science, there is a slight left-leaning bias in their positions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists as slightly Left-Center biased; we also rate them Pro-Science for well-sourced scientific information. (D. Van Zandt 12/4/2016) Updated (05/06/2022)
Last Updated on May 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds