These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) a Pro-science source based on sourcing and alignment with the consensus.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) is a 501(c)(3) organization with the stated intent of using science and scientific analysis to attempt to make the world more secure. FAS was founded in 1945 by scientists who worked on the Manhattan Project to develop the first atomic bombs. The current president is Ali Nouri.
The mission of FAS is to promote a safer and more secure world by developing and advancing solutions to important science and technology security policy problems by educating the public and policymakers, and promoting transparency through research and analysis to maximize impact on policy. This mission was established early on and was deemed necessary for the federation, as decisions made by the United States during the conception of the FAS were critical in terms of shaping international relations.
Funded by / Ownership
The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) is a 501(c)(3) organization that is funded through donations. The MacArthur Foundation is the primary donor.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Federation of American Scientist focuses on the issues of Government Secrecy, Nuclear Weapons, Defense Posture, and Science Policy. In each of these cases, they focus on evidence based outcomes. They also publish issue briefs and reports such as this Temporary Work Visa Holders in the United States, By the Numbers. This story like all others is well-sourced. They also publish a blog that is pro-science such as this US Army Views North Korean Military Tactics. Finally, they publish op-eds that assess security with a neutral tone such as this President Trump and the Middle East. While this source relies on science it relies on political science and remains mostly neutral.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Federation of American Scientists (FAS) a Pro-science source based on sourcing and alignment with the consensus. (D. Van Zandt 12/6/2016) Updated (11/20/2020)
Last Updated on November 20, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am