Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: N/A
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2018, Archaeology World is a website that publishes news about the field of archaeology. This website should not be confused with the credible academic journal World Archaeology. According to their about page, the “goal of Archaeology World is to highlight recent archaeological discoveries, as well as offering alternative viewpoints and explanations of archaeology, mythology, religion, and history around the globe.”
Other than an about page, this source completely lacks transparency as articles do not have author names, and ownership is not disclosed. Further, the domain is registered privately and does not disclose the location.
Funded by / Ownership
Archaeology World does not disclose ownership, and revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Archaeology World publishes news about archaeology discoveries around the world. Headlines are not sensationalized and typically describe the article’s content such as this: 3000-YEAR-OLD TROUSERS DISCOVERED IN CHINESE GRAVE OLDEST EVER FOUND. This story is republished from the credible Phys.org. However, other stories such as this, Archaeology dig in Spain yields prehistoric ‘crystal weapons,’ does not provide any sourcing at all. Unfortunately, most stories on this website are unsourced and difficult to verify for the reader. In general, the stories on this website appear to be legitimate and factual; however, without sourcing and transparency, they are Questionable at best.
Overall, we rate Archaeology World Questionable based on a lack of proper sourcing and a complete lack of transparency regarding ownership and authors. (D. Van Zandt 12/31/2019) Updated (01/29/2022)
Last Updated on January 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am