Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1982, The World Resources Institute or WRI is a non-partisan and independent non-profit research institute based in Washington, D.C. United States. WRI states its mission as “to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.” James A. Harmon is the Chairman of the Board and Andrew Steer is the President And CEO of The World Resources Institute.
The focus of the World Resources Institute is on to Climate, Energy, Food, Forests, and Water. Their goal is to find solutions to problems like water shortages and global climate change. WRI partners with local and national governments, private companies, publicly held corporations, and other non-profits, and offers services including global climate change issues, sustainable markets, ecosystem protection, and environmentally responsible governance services.
Funded by / Ownership
The World Resources Institute is a nonprofit which was awarded a 5-star transparency level by transparify.org and they provide a lists of their donors on their website. They have also received top ratings from charity watchdogs.
Analysis / Bias
Some examples of their analysis: “Chinese Cities and Indian State Adopt Innovative Approaches to Waste and Wastewater” and 5 Charts Show How Global Emissions Have Changed Since 1850. They utilize credible sources such as Reuters, other pro-science sources such as who.int, Resourcewatch.org as well as sources specific to the country they are covering such as moroccoworldnews.
Editorially, they hold a left-leaning position in their support for conservation and concern for climate change. In general, they are evidence based and factual with a left-leaning advocacy bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the World Resources Institute Left-Center Biased based on advocacy for left-leaning policy focusing on the environment. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on the use of mostly pro-science sources and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 4/13/2018) Updated (1/25/2021)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am