Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1985 by Grover Nordquist, Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) is a conservative nonprofit anti-tax lobbying group based in Washington, D.C. According to their about page, They describe themselves as “We believe in a system in which taxes are simpler, flatter, more visible, and lower than they are today. The government’s power to control one’s life derives from its power to tax. We believe that power should be minimized.” ATR is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). The current President is Grover Norquist, and the Chief of Staff is Christopher Butler. For more on the staff, please see here.
Funded by / Ownership
Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) is “a nonprofit, 501(c)(4) taxpayer advocacy group,“ and “The Americans for Tax Reform Foundation is a 501c(3) research and educational organization.” For more on tax filings of americansfortaxreformfoundation.org, please see a financial report published by ProPublica.
Analysis / Bias
According to Desmog, Grover Nordquist is a prominent climate change denier and lobbyist. Further, Grover Norquist, and Joe Bast of the Heartland Institute, works with the American Conservative Union (ACU) to promote climate change skepticism, such as “The Grover Norquist Show: The Real Science and Politics Behind Global Warming.”
In review, Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) utilizes credible sources such as CNBC, treasury.gov and mostly factual sources such as taxfoundation.org and the Wall Street Journal. They often publish articles critical of Biden administration, such as Biden Budget Calls for 30 Tax Increases and 5 Reasons Why Joe Biden’s Claim About No New Taxes Under $400,000 Is False.
Editorially, Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) promotes an anti-tax, anti-government conservative agenda. For example, Grover Norquist says, “My goal is to cut government in half in twenty-five years, to get it down to the size where we can drown it in the bathtub.” Finally, they strongly support former President Trump, such as “Thanks to Trump, Median Household Income at Highest Level Ever.” In general, the ATR is right-biased and sometimes promotes conservative propaganda and misinformation, especially on topics involving science.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says Obama sent $450 million to China to build a wind farm in Texas. – Pants on Fire
- “The Department of Health and Human Services is considering a plan to adopt socialist price controls from foreign countries.” – Mostly False
- These new levies, according to the Progressive Policy Institute (PPI), would total $15 billion annually.” – False
Overall, we rate Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) Right Biased based on editorial positions aligned with the conservative right. We also rate them borderline questionable and Mixed for factual reporting due to rejecting the consensus of science on climate change and several failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 7/19/2021)
Last Updated on January 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am