These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Atlantic Left-Center Biased due to editorial positions and High for factual reporting based on excellent sourcing of information and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2016, Mississippi Today is a nonprofit news and analysis website covering the state of Mississippi. According to their about page, they are a “statehouse watchdog, Mississippi Today’s roots in Capitol coverage have grown to encompass a myriad of beats beyond politics and policy, including education, public health, justice, environment, equity, and, yes, sports. Mississippi Today is now one of the largest newsrooms in Mississippi, proving that free, nonpartisan news is the antidote to apathy and an essential key to government accountability.”
Funded by / Ownership
Mississippi News and Information Corporation own and publish Mississippi Today. The nonprofit organization was founded in 2014 by the former chairman of NBC News and MSNBC, Andrew Lack. The organization is funded through donations and advertising. Notable donors include the American Journalism Project, Comcast NBCUniversal Foundation, and John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. The website is fully transparent regarding ownership and funding.
Analysis / Bias
Mississippi Today publishes news and analysis on the Mississippi government, politics, criminal justice, sports, and education. The website also has dedicated coverage of Covid-19 and Mississippi’s controversial abortion law. Articles and headlines contain moderately emotional wording, such as this Nancy and Zach New plead guilty to federal charges in private school scheme. This article, like all reviewed, is fact-based and utilizes credible sources such as court documents and Gallup polling.
Editorially, they appropriately label opinion content as “Analysis.” When analyzing politics and government Mississippi Today favors a liberal perspective with articles such as this Speaker Philip Gunn is holding $1.8 billion hostage — and could give Gov. Tate Reeves a big win. They also support social issues such as pro-choice on abortion, concern for climate change, and racial equity. In general, reporting is fact-based and holds a left-leaning political bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Mississippi Today Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 04/23/2022)
Last Updated on April 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am