These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Campus Reform Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the Right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a couple of failed fact checks and affiliation with sources that have failed many fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Campus Reform is a college news website. They claim to be “a conservative watchdog to the nation’s higher education system, Campus Reform exposes liberal bias and abuse on the nation’s college campuses.” The website is a project of the Leadership Institute, which is an institute founded in 1979 by conservative activist Morton C. Blackwell. Its mission is to “increase the number and effectiveness of conservative activists” and to “identify, train, recruit and place conservatives in politics, government, and media.”
The current editor-in-chief is Lawrence B. Jones III.
Funded by / Ownership
Campus Reform is owned by the Leadership Institute, which discloses their financial information; however, they do not list donors. Some notable donors include The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, Adolph Coors Foundation, Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation, and DeVos Urban Leadership Initiative. Donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, most articles are hostile toward liberal activists on college campuses. There is the use of some loaded words that typically favor the right such as this Conservatives claim victory after U Florida settles First Amendment case. Campus Reform typically sources their information; however, they have been flagged for making an unproven claim. In reviewing the journalists involved in this project, many have worked for the conservative and mixed factual Daily Caller, which has failed numerous fact checks and CNS News and The Blaze.
Editorially, all stories favor the right, with many reporting favorably on President Donald Trump. When it comes to science, Campus Reform does not outright deny that Global Warming is related to fossil fuels; however, they frequently report negatively on Climate Change Activists.
Failed Fact Checks
- Professor Nicholas Damask was assaulted for how he taught students about Islam. – Misleading
- Western Kentucky University will give black students free tuition as part of a program of reparations for slavery – Mostly False
Overall, we rate Campus Reform Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the Right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a couple of failed fact checks and affiliation with sources that have failed many fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 8/23/2017) Updated (05/13/2022)
Last Updated on May 13, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am