Founded in 2014, Vision Times is a conservative news and opinion website affiliated with Falun Gong and the Epoch Times Media Group.
The Epoch Times, founded by John Tang and a group of Chinese-American’s are also Falun Gong practitioners. Falun Gong, a Chinese spiritual philosophy, has been suppressed by the Chinese government. The Epoch Times and Vision Times hold strong anti-Chinese government sentiments.
On December 20, 2019, Facebook took down more than 600 accounts connected to The Epoch Times. According to an NBC News report, “The network was called ‘The BL’ and was run by Vietnamese users posing as Americans, using fake photos generated by algorithms to simulate real identities. The Epoch Media group, which pushes a variety of pro-Trump conspiracy theories, spent $9.5 million on ads to spread content through the now-suspended pages and groups.”
Read our profile on the USA government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
The nonprofit Kanzhongguo Media Association owns Vision Times. Ownership information is buried on the Terms of Service page, thereby lacking transparency of ownership. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Vision Times reports news and opinion in the following sections: China, US, World, Taiwan, Lifestyle, Health, Travel, and Science. They also cover politics and lifestyle.
The Vision Times covers straight news reporting through journalists and low-biased syndication through the Associated Press and Reuters. However, when writing on China, they reflect a strong anti-Chinese government bias such as this Communist China Attempts to Bolster Its Olympic Medal Count by Including Medals Won by Hong Kong and Taiwan. The Vision Times also uses loaded language that favors the right, such as Biden’s Export-Import Bank Nominee Has Concerning Conflicts of Interest With Chinese Influence Organizations.
Editorially, the Vision Times favors former President Trump by often reporting favorably such as this Counterfeit Ballots Allegedly Cast in 2020 Election, Georgia Judge Wants More Information. Further, they report more negatively on Democrats, such as this General Milley’s Secret Calls to China, Miller Dismisses Involvement.
During the 2020-2021 Coronavirus outbreak, they have promoted misinformation such as this 5 Things to Know Before Getting a Coronavirus Vaccine. In this article, they claim that the vaccines were only tested on healthy adults. This is not true as “Thousands of people with underlying health conditions were included in testing before COVID-19 vaccines were given authorization in the U.S.” In general, most news is reported factually; however, it is consistently one-sided in opposition to China and sometimes promotes misleading information. A complete lack of transparency, therefore, renders this source questionable.
Failed Fact Checks
- Spinach, lettuce being genetically engineered with COVID-19 mRNA vaccines – Mostly False
- Study Finds COVID Spike Protein Created in Vaccines ‘Hijacking’ Human Body DNA Repair and Adaptive Immune System Mechanisms – False
Overall, we rate The Vision Times Right Biased and Questionable based on the publication of pseudoscience and the promotion of propaganda, and a complete lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 9/29/2021) Updated (11/18/2021)
Last Updated on January 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am