These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.
- Overall, we rate UPI Least Biased based on neutral wording and story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: News Agency
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1907, United Press International (UPI) is an international news agency whose newswires, photos, news films, and audio services provided news material to thousands of newspapers, magazines, radio, and television stations during the 20th century. According to their about page, “United Press International is a leading provider of news, photos, and information to millions of readers around the globe via UPI.com and its licensing services.”
Funded by / Ownership
UPI is owned by News World Communications, founded in New York City, in 1976, by Unification movement founder and leader Sun Myung Moon. Revenue is generated through advertising as well as the licensing of articles and photos.
Analysis / Bias
In review, UPI is similar to Reuters and the AP, but on a smaller scale. Articles typically use neutral language such as this Saudi Arabia cuts oil output after Houthi drone attack. This story is properly sourced back to CNN and the Wall Street Journal. In general, story selection is neutral and low-biased. For example, when covering President Trump, they do not offer opinions but rather report the facts, Trump, Netanyahu discuss mutual defense treaty ahead of Israel elections. They also do not publish editorials.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate UPI Least Biased based on neutral wording and story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 11/29/2016) Updated (08/03/2021)
Last Updated on August 3, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm