These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.
- Overall, we rate Citizens United strongly Right Biased based on advocacy for conservative positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a complete lack of transparency with funding.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1988, Citizens United’s goal is to restore the founding father’s vision of a free nation, guided by its citizens’ honesty, common sense, and goodwill. According to their about page, “Citizens United seeks to reassert the traditional American values of limited government, freedom of enterprise, strong families, and national sovereignty and security.” Essentially, Citizens United is a conservative lobbying group and PAC.
Funded by / Ownership
Citizens United is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization. The website lacks transparency regarding funding; however, they have received funding from Koch Industries, which they do not disclose.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Citizens United is best known for the Supreme Court case Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. This is a landmark United States Supreme Court case concerning campaign finance. The Court held that the free speech clause of the First Amendment prohibits the government from restricting independent expenditures for political communications by corporations, including nonprofit corporations, labor unions, and other associations. Put in its simplest terms, it determined that money is a form of free speech protected by the Constitution.
Citizens United also runs campaign ads in support of Republicans and opposed to Democrats, as well as creating documentaries opposed to Democrats such as Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. Further, the website publishes news that is highly biased against any politician that is not deemed conservative enough Why You Can’t Trust Mitt Romney – EVER and frequently Pro-Trump such as this President Trump recognizes CU Pres. David Bossie in NH speech. In general, Citizens United is a strong right-leaning political advocacy and lobbying group.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Citizens United strongly Right Biased based on advocacy for conservative positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a complete lack of transparency with funding. (D. Van Zandt 7/18/2016) Updated (07/02/2022)
Last Updated on July 2, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am