These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Truthout strongly Left Biased based on story selection and political positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to publishing a false story and promoting anti-GMO propaganda.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Truthout is a progressive news organization in the United States that operates a website and distributes a daily newsletter. Registered in September 2001, in Sacramento, California, Truthout publishes original political news articles, opinion pieces, video reports, and artwork. According to its about page, “Truthout works to broaden and diversify the political discussion by introducing independent voices and focusing on under-covered issues and unconventional thinking.” Truthout’s main areas of focus are mass incarceration, social justice, and climate change. The current editor-in-chief is Maya Schenwar.
Funded by / Ownership
Truthout is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Truthout is a progressive news and opinion website focused on social justice and the environment. There is significant use of loaded emotional language that favors the left such as this: Scapegoating Unions for the Postal Service’s Phony Crisis. This op-ed is properly sourced to credible outlets such as Brookings and whitehouse.gov. Straight news reporting comes from both Truthout staff, as well as republishing from other sources. Most of the sources used for republishing are left-leaning such as Common Dreams, Salon, and Rewire. In general, story selection always favors the left with negative reporting on President Trump, such as this: Donald Trump’s Only Strategy Is to Create Crisis and Claim to Fix It.
When it comes to science, Truthout holds a negative view toward GMOs and uses highly sensationalized and conspiratorial headlines such as this: Have Monsanto, and the Biotech Industry Turned Natural Pesticides Into GMO “Super Toxins”?
Failed Fact Checks
Although Truthout has not failed a fact check by an IFCN fact checker, they have reported some stories that were not factual. For example, a reporter claimed that Karl Rove was indicted on charges when in fact, he wasn’t. The reporter continued to claim without evidence. See the link here. Although this is only one example, it shows that this source should be checked when in doubt.
Overall, we rate Truthout strongly Left Biased based on story selection and political positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to publishing a false story and promoting anti-GMO propaganda. (5/15/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/28/2021)
Last Updated on October 28, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm