These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Common Dreams Left Biased based on story selection and op-eds that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1997, Common Dreams is a U.S.-based progressive news website. Common Dreams publishes news stories, editorials, and a newswire of current breaking news. Common Dreams also re-publish relevant content from other sources and links to columnists, periodicals, radio outlets, news services, and websites.
According to their about page, “We share our readers’ progressive values of social justice, human rights, equality, and peace. Common Dreams is committed to not only being your trusted news source, but to encouraging critical thinking and civic action on a diverse range of social, economic, and civil rights issues affecting individuals and their communities.”
Funded by / Ownership
Common Dreams is a 501(c)3 nonprofit that receives funding from donations. They also state they do not receive “corporate underwriting or government funding.”
Analysis / Bias
In review, Common Dreams primarily covers political news with a left-leaning bias in story selection and wording such as this: ‘Stop With This Recklessness’: Allies Warn Right-Wing Attacks Could Get Congresswoman Ilhan Omar Killed. This story is appropriately sourced to mostly left-leaning media such as Splinter, NBC News, and Vox. In general, news reporting favors the left through story selection and the use of emotional wording. Editorially, Common Dreams features left-leaning writers such as Glenn Greenwald, Ralph Nader, Noam Chomsky, Naomi Klein, and Paul Krugman. Needless to say, op-eds strongly favor the left. Many op-eds are opposed to militarism and promote the need for action on climate change.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Common Dreams Left Biased based on story selection and op-eds that favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 4/13/2019)
Last Updated on April 20, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm