Questionable Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, False Information
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: VERY LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2017 by Richard Stenger, Press California is primarily a conservative news curation website. Richard Stenger is a former CNN.com and NYT Digital journalist. The about page is titled “Help Spread the Right News” and claims, “PressCalifornia.com is the largest independent news curator in California and posts original reporting and content from a wide range of media.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not clearly state ownership but is assumed to be owned by Richard Stenger. Advertising and donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Press California is primarily a conservative news curation service that sometimes publishes original content. Articles and headlines feature loaded emotional wording that favors the right such as this Santa Monica wants its citizens to serve as the mask Nazis against businesses. This piece is not a news story but rather a tweet. The website curates news stories from far-right biased and questionable sources such as The California Globe, Gateway Pundit, Revolver News, Whatfinger, Red State, the Liberty Daily, the NOQ Report, and Citizen Free Press. All of these sources routinely fail fact checks and promote misinformation.
Editorially, all stories favor the right and denigrate the left, such as this Video: Unbelievable Stretch of Nonsensical Drunken Speech And Arm Waving From Nancy Pelosi. Press California frequently links to sources who promote anti-vaccination propaganda, such as this Dr. Robert Malone: ‘The Vaccinated Are Actually the Ones That Are Creating the Highest Risk for Everybody.’ The source for this story is the discredited pseudoscience quack Joseph Mercola and Dr. Robert Malone, who has advocated vaccine hesitancy. In general, they are extreme right-biased and completely lack credibility based on the poor sources they curate.
Failed Fact Checks
- Press California uses sources that frequently fail fact checks.
Overall, we rate Press California Far-right biased and Questionable based on the promotion of propaganda, conspiracy theories, the use of poor sources, and the false and misleading information. (D. Van Zandt 11/7/2021)
Last Updated on January 12, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am