These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Daily Nation Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing techniques and a lack of reporting on the opposition to the right-leaning government.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Established in 1960 as Taifa, The Daily Nation or Nation is a Kenyan newspaper headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, published by Nation Media Group. The Daily Nation covers current affairs, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and sports. It was founded by British Colonial government officer Charles Hayes and later bought by Aga Khan, the founder of Nation Media Group.
Funded by / Ownership
Nation Media Group owns The Daily Nation. The group also owns Business Daily, The East African, Taifa Leo, NTV, and QFM. The owner of Nation Media Group is Aga Khan. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In 2018, the government shut down three television stations (Citizen TV, Inooro TV, NTV) because they planned to live-stream the symbolic presidential inauguration of opposition leader Raila Odinga. Odinga (leader of the left-wing opposition party NASA) accused President Uhuru Kenyatta (right-wing leader of the ruling political party Jubilee) of stealing the election. Further, three NTV journalists, Linus Kaikai, Larry Madowo, and Ken Mijungu, spent the night at the Nation Media Group headquarters in Nairobi to avoid arrest. Nation Media Group operates the television outlet NTV and is also the owner of the Daily Nation and their respective websites. Further, in April 2018, eight columnists resigned, accusing “management of letting the government interfere in decisions about the coverage of a heated presidential election last year.”
In review, Daily Nation reports local/national news with minimal use of loaded wording and reports factually, such as this Scare as car plunges into the ocean in Mombasa. World news is generally republished from AFP. The Daily Nation rarely hyperlinks to external sources when it comes to sourcing.
Editorially, Daily Nation favored the left in the past with support for the opposition with stories such as this “US media firm targeted Raila Odinga with attack ads, report says” (2017). However, over time they have limited criticism of the government and began praising the current right-leaning government, such as this “Good news for farmers” (2020). Further, the owner of Nation Media Group, businessman/philanthropist religious leader Aga Khan has close ties with the right-leaning government of Kenya as he visits and discusses his investments. Although there is a lack of criticism of the Right-leaning government, they often advocate for more liberal causes such as Gender Activism and Climate Change. Therefore, we rate them left-center when it comes to editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- According to IFCN fact-checker Africa Check, they have not failed any fact checks.
Overall, we rate Daily Nation Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing techniques and a lack of reporting on the opposition to the right-leaning government. (M. Huitsing 12/23/2020) Updated (03/29/2022)
Last Updated on March 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am