These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Popular Information Left Biased based on story selection and editorial content that routinely favors liberal causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2018 by Judd Legum, Popular Information is a news and opinion blog that publishes a subscription newsletter. Judd Legum is the sole writer and was the original founder of the liberal news website, ThinkProgress, which is now defunct. Judd Lugum also worked for the Clinton campaign in 2008. According to their about page “You won’t just learn about who is up and who is down. You’ll get in-depth information and perspective on the things that really matter.”
Funded by / Ownership
Popular Information is held by Popular Information LLC, which is owned by Judd Legum. The newsletter is published through Substack, which charges subscription fees for newsletter creation. Therefore, revenue is generated through these subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website and newsletter publish news and opinion content with a left-leaning bias in story selection. Headlines sometimes contain moderately loaded language such as this: The cover-up of the cover-up. Most articles are strongly sourced from credible outlets and information such as this: An interview with the Ukrainians who created the “I Love America” Facebook page. Editorially, Popular Information is liberal-progressive, with frequent negative reporting on conservatives and the Trump administration such as this, How the Trump campaign scams its supporters on Facebook. In general, Popular Information is solidly left biased in both story selection and editorially, while usually properly sourced and factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Popular Information Left Biased based on story selection and editorial content that routinely favors liberal causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 9/30/2019) Updated (1/18/2021)
Last Updated on January 18, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds