These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate NumbersUSA strongly Right Biased based on the advocacy for immigration restrictions that align with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and a few failed fact checks.
|Country:||USA (45/180 Press Freedom)|
|Traffic/Popularity Estimate:||Minimal Traffic|
|MBFC Credibility Rating:||MEDIUM CREDIBILITY|
NumbersUSA is an immigration reduction organization that seeks to reduce US immigration levels to pre-1965 levels without country of origin quotas as established in the Immigration Act of 1924. NumbersUSA was founded by Roy Beck while he worked for anti-immigration activist John Tanton, who has been described as a racist. NumbersUSA is also connected to the Federation for American Immigration Reform and the Center for Immigration Studies, via John Tanton. Both of these groups are considered to be racist organizations.
According to there about page, “NumbersUSA Education & Research Foundation provides a civil forum for Americans of all political and ethnic backgrounds to focus on a single issue, the numerical level of U.S. immigration. We educate opinion leaders, policymakers and the public on immigration legislation, policies and their consequences. We favor reductions in immigration numbers toward traditional levels that would allow present and future generations of Americans to enjoy a stabilizing U.S. population and a high degree of individual liberty, mobility, environmental quality, worker fairness and fiscal responsibility.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website is operated through NumbersUSA Action which is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, that is an advocacy group seeking to limit the overall number of immigrants that enter the U.S. each year. Revenue is derived through donations. NumbersUSA Action is a lobbying organization for limited immigration.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NumbersUSA is an organization that advocates for limited immigration through lobbying and dissemination of information on their website. The website publishes news from other sources that often come from questionable sources such as this from Epoch Times: Judge Blocks Enforcement of Biden’s Deportation Pause. Other poor sources used are the Washington Times and Breitbart, however, many are properly sourced to credible outlets such as the Associated Press, Axios, and Politico. The website also features a blog that is written by NumbersUSA staff that is in line with their low immigration advocacy such as this Biden moves step closer to ‘Magic Kingdom Pass’ for illegal immigration. This particular blog post contains stats and figures but not hyperlink citations to other sources making it difficult for the reader to determine the validity of the information.
Editorially, NumbersUSA strongly favors the right and routinely denigrates the left such as this Biden Immigration Outline: A Wish-List for Open Borders Lobby. Although NumbersUSA is affiliated with John Tanton, our review does not reveal racist content. While their position of low immigration can be interpreted in different ways, there is not evidence of racial bias. In general, NumbersUSA is Right Biased and not a reliable source of information based on the use of poor sources and failed fact checks.
Failed Fact Checks
- “adding 33 million foreign job seekers” when 20 million Americans can’t find a job – False
- Under current U.S. immigration policy, “literally one person with a green card” can, in the extreme, bring in more than 270 of his relatives. – False
Overall, we rate NumbersUSA strongly Right Biased based on the advocacy for immigration restrictions that align with the conservative right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources and a few failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 2/8/2017) Updated (2/26/2021)
Last Updated on February 26, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am