These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate New York Magazine Left Biased based on wording and story selection that mostly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and correcting a known failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1968, New York Magazine is an American bi-weekly magazine featuring politics, New York City life, culture, finance, entertainment, fashion, and food. New York Magazine is based in New York City. New York Media is the parent company that features digital brands including Vulture (movies, TV, music), The Cut (style-and-culture), Grub Street (food and restaurants), The Strategist (shopping), and New York (news and politics). NYmag.com serves as a portal for these websites, with some having their own independent URLs.
Graphic Artists Milton Glaser and journalist Clay Felker founded New York Magazine, which Rupert Murdoch eventually acquired in 1976. In 2003, the Wall Street investment banker Bruce Wasserstein acquired New York Magazine for $55 million and brought Adam Moss in as its editor. NYM has earned many National Magazine Awards under his leadership. In 2009, after Bruce Wasserstein’s death, his daughter Pamela Wasserstein became the company’s chief executive officer and ran it through a family trust. In January 2019, Pam Wasserstein announced that David Haskell would succeed Adam Moss as editor-in-chief of the company; also, New York Media has named Avi Zimak as its new chief revenue officer and publisher. Zimak takes over for Larry Burstein.
Funded by / Ownership
New York Magazine is owned by Vox Media, a digital publishing network founded by Jerome Armstrong, Tyler Bleszinski, and Markos Moulitsas and based in Washington, D.C. According to a Nieman Labs article, Vox Media had eight editorial brands and a custom advertising division. These are (sports-focused) SB Nation, (tech site) The Verge, (real estate blog) Curbed, (food and nightlife) Eater, (technology news) Racked, (news hub) Vox, and (technology business) Recode. However, in 2019 they merged with New York Media, adding The Cut, Vulture, and others. Further, a New York Times article dated 2015 states that NBC Universal, which Comcast owns, invested $200 Million in Vox Media. NYM is subscription-based and serves online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, New York Magazine publishes articles with emotionally loaded headlines such as “Trump Likely to Accept Defeat on Wall Funding – and Claim He’ll Get His Money Elsewhere,” “The Green New Deal Is a Bad Idea, Not Just a Botched Rollout” and “ AOC Thinks Concentrated Wealth Is Incompatible With Democracy. So Did Our Founders.” NYM typically utilizes credible sources such as the Washington Post, Bloomberg, NY Times, Marketwatch, The Hill, and Politico.
Editorially, NYM does not publish many political op-eds; however, when they do, they almost always favor the left, such as this: Limbaugh Pretty Sure That The Late Show’s New Hire Means Civil War. Further, NYM does not endorse political candidates.
Failed Fact Checks
- A factual search reveals that NYM has failed two fact checks by an IFCN Fact Checker. However, they corrected both articles, which complies with High factual standards.
Overall, we rate New York Magazine Left Biased based on wording and story selection that mostly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and correcting a known failed fact check. (5/13/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 7/27/2019) Updated (10/16/2020)
Last Updated on April 13, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am