These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Vox Left Biased due to wording and story selection that routinely favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to two failed fact checks, with only one offering a correction.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2014, Vox is a news hub run by Vox Media (Not to be confused with Vox German TV channel). Co-founded by former Washington Post columnist Ezra Klein who is also an editor. Melissa Bell is the vice president of growth and analytics, and former Slate Columnist Matthew Yglesias is editor and a columnist for Vox.
Funded by / Ownership
Vox Media is owned by Vox Media, a digital publishing network founded by Jerome Armstrong, Tyler Bleszinski, and Markos Moulitsas and based in Washington, D.C. According to a Nieman Lab article, Vox Media has eight editorial brands and a custom advertising division. These are (sports-focused) SB Nation, (tech site) The Verge, (video game site) Polygon, (real estate blog) Curbed, (food and nightlife) Eater, (technology news) Racked, (news hub) Vox and (technology business) Recode. Further, a New York Times article dated 2015 states that NBC Universal, which Comcast owns, invested $200 Million in Vox Media.
Analysis / Bias
According to a Politico interview with the editor, Ezra Klein, Klein describes their goal as “to use technology to improve readers’ experience and understanding of events.” Vox has introduced Vox Card Stacks, and with those cards, they organize information, in index card format, about all kinds of topics in the news with in-depth details but in a summary form. Some examples are: “Everything you need to know about Israel-Palestine” and “The spread of marijuana legalization, explained.” Vox also has a feature called StoryStream, where they provide real-time updates to news stories.
In review, Vox looks at the issues from a progressive liberal perspective, and there is also an anti-Trump tone in their reporting. Therefore, the majority of stories are pro-left and anti-right. Further, Vox publishes stories with emotionally loaded headlines such as “Are Democrats brave enough to run a woman against Donald Trump?” and “The most depressing energy chart of the year- Coal has got to go” When it comes to sourcing, Vox typically utilizes credible sources such as the NY Times, Associated Press, and Bloomberg.
Failed Fact Checks
- DID 200,000 SALVADORANS WITH TEMPORARY PROTECTED STATUS FLEE NATURAL DISASTER? – FALSE (correction issued)
- Did wages fall by 1.8 percent after Donald Trump’s tax cut? – MOSTLY FALSE
Overall, we rate Vox Left Biased due to wording and story selection that routinely favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to two failed fact checks, with only one offering a correction. (5/15/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 10/07/2021)
Last Updated on October 7, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am