These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate MakeUseOf Least Biased based on publishing mostly tech news or politics that relate to technology. However, there is a very slight leftward lean in source selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2006, MakeUseOf is a technology blog with content about software, web applications, technology, apps, daily articles, tutorials, tips, and reviews. According to their about page, MakeUseOf describes itself as “a technology website, focused on bridging the connection between users, computers, devices and the Internet through education.” MakeUseOf describes its mission as “to help users deconstruct the world of technology and gadgets.” The Editor in Chief is Joel Lee.
Funded by / Ownership
In 2006, Aibek Esengulov founded MakeUseOf with Kaly Mochoev and according to an interview, MakeUseOf “was always self-funded,” and is currently still funded through a subscription and advertising model.
In review, MakeUseOf typically uses neutral headlines such as “Three YouTube Stars Interviewed President Obama, Here’s What Happened.” A quote from the article reads: “Hank Green also asks about middle-class economics, drone strikes, sanctioning North Korea, and a wide variety of controversial topics.” Another article is more political with a focus on technology and security “How Does Election Hacking Work? Everything Explained in Simple Terms.” MakeUseOf is also a supporter of Net Neutrality, in which they describe here.
MakeUseOf usually sources their information to credible left-leaning sources such as The Guardian, The Atlantic, New York Times, NBC News, Huffington Post, Independent and Defcon, however, they sometimes use YouTube videos as a source, which we have not verified for credibility.
Overall, we rate MakeUseOf Least Biased based on publishing mostly tech news or politics that relate to technology. However, there is a very slight leftward lean in source selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information. (M. Huitsing 7/13/2018) Updated (6/7/2020)
Last Updated on June 7, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am