These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using an appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Rachel Maddow Left Biased based on political positions that closely align with the progressive left. We also rate her Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of conspiracy theories and a few failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Host
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Political Affiliation: She describes her upbringing as “centrist” and herself as Liberal.
Current Position: Host of the Rachel Maddow Show on MSNBC.
Past Position: The Rachel Maddow Show on Air America Radio from 2005 to 2010, a correspondent for The Advocate, Radio host at WRNX (100.9 FM) in Massachusetts.
- Political Views: Rachel Maddow is known for her coverage of the Trump/Russiagate story. According to a New York Times article, “She has been labeled “conspiratorial” (by Slate), a “partisan hack” (by Glenn Greenwald, a former friend), “the queen of collusion” (by The Washington Post), and “much smarter than this” (by The Guardian).” In an Advocate interview in 2010, she described herself as “I’m undoubtedly a liberal.” Finally, during the presidency of Republican Donald Trump, Maddow would report negatively on him nightly. She has also been called a Democratic candidate “King Maker through her influence.”
- Scientific Views: She generally holds pro-science views such as advocating for climate change action, reports realistically on Covid-19.
- Social Views: She considers herself Catholic and is Pro-LGBTQ rights. She also supports Black Lives Matter and generally promotes social justice, equity, and fair immigration.
Failed Fact Checks
- Says Ohio budget item later signed into law by Gov. John Kasich requires women seeking an abortion to undergo a “mandatory vaginal probe.” – Pants on Fire
- “While he was president, President Trump never encouraged Americans to get vaccinated.” – False
- Under Scott Walker, “the Wisconsin middle class is shrinking at a faster rate than any other state in the country.” – False
Bias and Credibility Summary
Overall, we rate Rachel Maddow Left Biased based on political positions that closely align with the progressive left. We also rate her Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of conspiracy theories and a few failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 12/24/2021) Updated (11/21/2022)
Last Updated on November 21, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check