Informed Comment is a weblog founded in 2002 by John Ricardo I. “Juan” Cole, an American academic and commentator on the modern Middle East and South Asia. He is a Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of History at the University of Michigan. According to their about page, “Drawing on the insights of expert journalists, activists, and academics, we strive to publish the deep geopolitical analysis that’s readable for a general audience. And unlike most foreign policy-oriented publications, our editorial line isn’t dictated by beltway think tanks or corporate boards.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website is not clear on ownership, but donations go to Juan Cole, assuming he is the sole owner. Advertising and contributions generate revenue for the owner.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Informed Comment uses mild to moderate loaded words in their headlines and articles. All articles tend to have a left-leaning perspective related to the middle east and politics in general.
Editorially, most stories favor the progressive left, such as this We’re not at War: Why is Congress giving $778 Billion of our Money to the Pentagon? And this As Climate Emergency Shakes Iran, Government Attacks, arrests Water Protesters at Isfahan, wounding 3. These stories are sourced from credible information such as AFP and The Nation. In general, the news is mostly factual and left-leaning in bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Informed Comment Left Biased based on story selection that favors the left and Mostly Factual for factual reporting based on a lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 1/18/2018) Updated (12/10/2021)
Last Updated on December 10, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am