Informed Comment is a weblog founded in 2002 by John Ricardo I. “Juan” Cole, an American academic and commentator on the modern Middle East and South Asia. He is a Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of History at the University of Michigan. According to their about page, “Drawing on the insights of expert journalists, activists, and academics, we strive to publish the deep geopolitical analysis that’s readable for a general audience. And unlike most foreign policy-oriented publications, our editorial line isn’t dictated by beltway think tanks or corporate boards.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website is not clear on ownership, but donations go to Juan Cole, assuming he is the sole owner. Advertising and contributions generate revenue for the owner.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Informed Comment uses mild to moderate loaded words in their headlines and articles. All articles tend to have a left-leaning perspective related to the middle east and politics in general.
Editorially, most stories favor the progressive left, such as this We’re not at War: Why is Congress giving $778 Billion of our Money to the Pentagon? And this As Climate Emergency Shakes Iran, Government Attacks, arrests Water Protesters at Isfahan, wounding 3. These stories are sourced from credible information such as AFP and The Nation. In general, the news is mostly factual and left-leaning in bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Informed Comment Left Biased based on story selection that favors the left and Mostly Factual for factual reporting based on a lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 1/18/2018) Updated (12/10/2021)
Last Updated on December 10, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am