- Overall, we rate Kaiser Health News Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately align with a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to pro-science reporting, credible sourcing, and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), or Kaiser Family Foundation, based in Menlo Park, California, owns and published Kaiser Health News 9KHN). It focuses on major health care issues facing the nation and the U.S.’s role in global health policy. The Foundation states that it is a non-partisan source of facts and analysis, polling, and journalism for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the general public, and kff.org is known for having the “most up-to-date and accurate information on health policy.” Further, “Through Kaiser Health News, KFF’s editorially independent news service dedicated to coverage of health care policy and politics, the Foundation provides coverage of health policy issues and developments at the federal and state levels in the health care marketplace and health care delivery system.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Kaiser Family Foundation is a non-profit organization that owns and publishes Kaiser Health News. Donations and grants fund KFF and KHN. Further, According to OpenSecrets, since 1992, KFF has donated 95% to Democratic candidates and causes.
Analysis / Bias
Kaiser Health News covers news and information related to the healthcare system and health policy. Articles and headlines often contain moderately loaded language that favors the left, such as this, Rural Communities Left Hurting Without a Hospital, Ambulance, or Doctors Nearby. Although the wording is sometimes biased, they rely on credible sources such as PBS, Scientific American, and peer-reviewed journals. Further, they work with the IFCN fact-checker Politifact to provide healthcare-related fact checks. Finally, during the Covid-19 pandemic, they have provided dedicated sections to coronavirus and vaccines from a pro-science evidence-based perspective.
Editorially, they moderately align with the left by promoting universal healthcare, and a focus on health equity such as this Data Science Proved What Pittsburgh’s Black Leaders Knew: Racial Disparities Compound Covid Risk. Kaiser Health News is a reliable source for factual healthcare information but leans left in story selection and editorial direction.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. They are frequently used as a source for fact-checkers.
Overall, we rate Kaiser Health News Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately align with a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to pro-science reporting, credible sourcing, and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 12/23/2021)
Last Updated on January 7, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am