Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1848 as the Iowa Star, the Des Moines Register is a daily newspaper published by Gannett Company in Des Moines, Iowa. The mission statement states they are “strongly local”; however, in February 2014, they became part of the USA Today Network, which republishes USA Today news stories within the paper. The Register also covers national and international news, lifestyles, sports, and business.
In 2022, The Des Moines Register and its staff won 40 awards in the annual Iowa Better Newspaper Contests.
Funded by / Ownership
The Des Moines Register is part of the “USA TODAY NETWORK, ” owned by the Gannett Company, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia. The newspaper is funded through a subscription and advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Des Moines Register typically uses loaded emotional wording in headlines and within the body of articles. When reporting on President Trump, the Des Moines Register offers a reasonable balance of pro-Trump and anti-Trump articles such as “Donald Trump has had one of the most successful starts of any new president in history.” A quote from the article reads: “An Islamified Western Europe is arguably one of the biggest stories of our time. Yet elites on both sides of the Atlantic are in denial about the coming Islamic takeover of much of Europe.” Another article is negative toward Trump with loaded emotional wording: “Pressure on Trump worked to end child separations. Now it must work to pass a law with heart.”
The Des Moines Register typically sources their information from credible sources such as the New York Times, Brookings.edu, LA Times, Whitehouse.gov, and the Washington Post. Editorially, In 2012 they endorsed Mitt Romney for President and endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election. A factual search reveals the Des Moines Register has not failed a fact check. Further, they have served as a fact-checker for Politifact during the 2016 Presidential Primaries.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Des Moines Register Least Biased based on mostly balanced coverage of politics; however, there is a slight leftward lean in story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information. (7/29/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 04/30/2022)
Last Updated on April 30, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am