These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Charity Navigator Least Biased based on accomplishing their stated mission without bias. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting based on following a strict methodology and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2001, Charity Navigator is a major charity assessment organization that evaluates charitable organizations in the United States. According to their about page “Charity Navigator is the largest and most-utilized charity evaluator in America.” They state their mission as to “make impactful philanthropy easier for all.” Charity Navigator was created by John P. (Pat) Dugan, a wealthy pharmaceutical executive and philanthropist. The current CEO is Michael Thatcher.
Read our profile on USA government influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
Charity Navigator is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that accepts no advertising or donations from the organizations it evaluates. However, it does accept donations from individuals.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Charity Navigator has evaluated and rated over 9000 charities on a numbers-based rating system. Specifically, they examine a source’s financial health and their accountability & transparency. Scores are calculated and charities are given an 0 to 4-star rating. For example, the AARP foundation received 4 stars due to a score of 88.26 or 3 stars for financial and 96.00 or 4 stars for accountability and transparency for an average score of 91.22 and 4 stars. The star ratings are similar to grades with 90-100 being an A, 80-89 being a B, 70-79 a C, 60-69 a D, and anything below 60 representing 0 stars and an F. Further, Charity Navigator clearly states their methodology. In general, this is a credible source that does exactly as it states with minimal bias.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Charity Navigator Least Biased based on accomplishing their stated mission without bias. We also rate them Very-High for factual reporting based on following a strict methodology and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 12/28/2019)
Last Updated on September 14, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am