These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Daily Beast Left-Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for reporting due to failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
According to its about page, The Daily Beast is a news and opinion website focusing on politics, power, and pop culture headquartered in New York City. The Daily Beast was founded in 2008 by magazine editor, columnist, and talk-show host Tina Brown. In 2010, The Daily Beast and Newsweek merged in a joint venture named The Newsweek Daily Beast Company, which lasted for 2 years. In 2013, Editor-in-Chief and founder Tina Brown announced her departure. John Avlon then became Editor-in-Chief. He was the former associate editor for The New York Sun and speechwriter for former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani.
In May of 2018, Avlon announced his departure from The Daily Beast. Noah Shachtman, co-founder, and editor of Wired magazine’s national security blog Danger Room, serves as the new Editor-in-Chief. Heather Dietrick serves as the CEO. You can view the masthead here.
Funded by / Ownership
The Daily Beast’s parent company is IAC (InterActiveCorp). which is run by Barry Diller, who had led the creation of the Fox network. IAC’s CEO is Joey Levin. IAC (InterActiveCorp) is a media and Internet company comprised of some of the world’s well-known brands, such as HomeAdvisor, Vimeo, About.com, Dictionary.com, Investopedia, and more. The Daily Beast is primarily funded through online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
According to a Washington Post article, Editor-in-Chief Noah Shachtman describes how he will improve the Daily Beast. He states, “I want us to lean harder into who we are,” explaining further, “That means that if the Daily Beast is in the business of scoops — more scoops. “If we’re painting in bright colors now, I want to paint even brighter.”
In review, the Daily Beast tends to publish left-leaning stories utilizing sensationalized headlines with emotionally loaded words such as “No, Rudy: Trump Isn’t Othello. He’s Iago” and “Imagine a Trump Who Could Constrain Himself and Just Talk About the Economy.” However, they typically source the info in their reports using credible sources such as Reuters, PBS, Slate, NY Times, and sources themselves. Despite that, they have published false claims and misinformation, as seen below.
Failed Fact Checks
- FACT CHECK: WAS A ‘HUGE PERCENTAGE’ OF DEPORTED SALVADORANS KILLED OR HARMED UPON RETURN TO EL SALVADOR? – False
- “Stephen Paddock used guns that are more powerful and accurate than what Marine infantry carry—and they’re totally legal to buy,” – False
- Orange County Supervisor Don Wagner expressed genuine concern over “tracking devices” when he asked a health official about their potential presence in COVID-19 vaccines during a county board meeting. – False
- 3D-printed Sarco capsules for assisted suicides, which can be activated from the inside by the person intending to die, have been approved under Swiss law. – False
Overall, we rate the Daily Beast Left-Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for reporting due to failed fact checks. (5/13/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 04/29/2022)
Last Updated on April 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm