These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Ecowatch Left Biased based on editorial and policy positions that are supported by the political left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record since 2018.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1998, Ecowatch is an environmental news and opinion website that publishes news with the tagline”Environmental news for a healthier planet and life.” According to their about page “EcoWatch is a leading online environmental news company, publishing timely stories every day for a healthier planet and life.” The current managing editor is Irma Omerhodzic.
Funded by / Ownership
Ecowatch is owned by Ecowatch Holdings LLC, which consists of majority owners Thomas O’Sullivan, Theodore Janulis, and Kerry Waterson. The website generates revenue through advertising and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Ecowatch’s primary focus is on climate change and they support the consensus of science regarding this issue. Stories often come from other sources such as the left-leaning Common Dreams such as this: Harris and AOC Introduce Climate Equity Act to Protect Frontline Communities. This story is properly sourced. For the most part, Ecowatch reports with a left-leaning pro-environmental bias. In the past Ecowatch published stories that did not align with the consensus of science regarding GMO safety and vaccinations. In 2018, leadership was changed and Ecowatch moved to a more pro-science approach. Several articles were removed and since 2018 we cannot find evidence of them advancing pseudoscience.
Editorially, Ecowatch promotes a liberal perspective such as this Climate Skepticism Linked to Conservative Politics Predominantly in U.S. This story is properly sourced to Nature and Ars Technica. When reporting on the Trump Administration the topic is always related to the environment and is typically negative such as this Trump Campaign Is Selling Plastic Straws to ‘Make Straws Great Again’. This story is also properly sourced to USA Today and NPR. In general, Ecowatch reports environmental news from a strong liberal perspective and in recent years have made an effort to promote evidence-based science.
Failed Fact Checks
- Since 2018 they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Ecowatch Left Biased based on editorial and policy positions that are supported by the political left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record since 2018. (D. Van Zandt 7/20/2016) Updated (12/011/2020)
Last Updated on December 11, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am